Installing Wall Worm Model Tools
Always install the latest service pack or product update for your version of Max before installing Wall Worm. (For 3ds Max 2018+, get the updates from your Autodesk Account.)
Only install Wall Worm files you downloaded directly from the Wall Worm website. Do not install WW files from any other source!
- Download the Installer WallWormProInstaller.exe (found on the product pages on the WW Store).
- Double-Click the Installer application. This will install WW to your Program Files folder and integrate with any version of 3ds Max on the system from 3ds Max 2012+.
- Launch 3ds Max.
NOTE:For Wall Worm Pro, please read the installation instructions that come with WW Pro. The primary difference is that for WW Pro, you need to run 3ds Max as Administrator so that WW can copy the VTFLib to the 3ds Max root directory. The legacy method is no longer prefered and you should use the installers instead.
- Download the Wall Worm Model Tools Zip file (or Wall Worm Pro)
- Right-click the downloaded Zip file and click Properties > Unblock > OK. (If you do not do this, several of the functions will not work including Wall Worm Pro.)
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file to your computer*. Preferably, copy the WallWorm.com folder to the 3ds Max\Scripts folder. (You must include the WallWorm.com folder!)
- If installing WW Pro, make sure to Launch 3ds Max as Administrator. Otherwise just launch 3ds Max. You can do this by right-clicking your shortcut to launch Max and click the menu to Run as Administrator.
- In 3ds Max, click on the Maxscript > Run Script (older Max) or Scripting > Run Script (newer Max) menu and browse to this file in the extracted folders: WallWorm.com\install.ms
*WW does not have to be installed into the scripts folder. However, wherever you install WW to should remain consistent so that you remember where it's located when you want to update it. Shawn Olson installs his copy at c:\wallworm\apps and uses that same installation of WW for each version of Max installed on the computer. This method allows updating multiple Max versions with just one copy of WW.
- If this is the first run of WW on this version of Max, you will be prompted to agree to the EULA.
- Now set up Wall Worm for your game by configuring the settings. The fastest way for Source games to get many paths setup is to click the Import Game Config setting in the Global Settings floater and browse for the GameConfig.txt file in your game's bin folder. (To set up for Goldsource, see here.)
- Check for common problems by clicking Wall Worm > Wall Worm Utilities > Check For Problems. Turn on the Check for 3ds Max Version, WW Updates and WW Settings.
- Restart 3ds Max so that the plugins will get loaded.
- Start using Wall Worm tools with the Wall Worm menu added to 3ds Max.
The video below details installing Wall Worm Pro. Please note that the video was made before the introduction of the installer applications. As such, it details the legacy method followed by game configuration.
Updating Wall Worm
Assuming you used the Wall Worm installer application instead of a zip file, you will be prompted to update WW after Windows starts and a new update is detected. Also, you can manually run the update application by executing the WW Updater application. By default that application is found at C:\Program Files\Wall Worm\Wall Worm Pro Pack\Updater.exe .
Legacy Update Method
If you did not install WW with an installer, it's recommended that you download and use the installer to keep WW up-to-date. If you still prefer the manual method, then you can get the latest zip files from the WW store (now requiring login to access) and follow the steps below.
You can click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Utilities > Check for Updates to see if there is an updated version of Wall Worm available. If an update is available:
- Close down 3ds Max.
- Download the latest version of WW.
- Remember to unblock the downloaded Zip file before extracting (see installation instructions above).
- Overwrite your current installation files with the new files.
- In 3ds Max, click on the Maxscript > Run Script menu and browse to this file in the extracted folders: WallWorm.com\install.ms or just open Max and launch Wall Worm Model Tools (this will run the functions to update macros/menus).
No GameConfig file
The gameconfig file is not always inside your bin folder. If this is the case, you can generally create it by opening Hammer for that game. Opening Hammer usually creates this file.
VTFLib Not Installed
When installing WW Pro, the VTFLib.dll must be copied to the 3ds Max root directory. This should happen when you install Wall Worm. However, in some cases, the file is not properly copied during installation. When that happens and you load Max, you will get a message about Error Loading Plug-in DLL: Error code 126 - The specified module could not be found. To rectify this problem, you can browse to the Wall Worm installation folder and copy C:\Program Files\Wall Worm\Wall Worm Pro Pack\WallWorm.com\VTFLib\bin\x64\VTFLib.dll into the root 3ds Max folder. Then restart Max.
WW Pro Functions Not Working
The most common problem for installing WW Pro is that it contains DLL files that Windows automatically blocks when downloaded from the Internet. Make sure to Unblock the zip file before extracting as in the instructions.